[ Page 1 ] [ Page 2 ] [WSU Buildings Image Collection]

Additions to WSU Historic Buildings Roster, inclusive of construction dated to 1953.


Livestock Judging Pavilion

Built 1933
Architect. Stanley Smith, WSU

One-story, wood frame structure. Wood clapboard exterior, replaced with matching metal siding. Steep-pitched roof. Large windows for interior lighting. Central cupola/ventilator on cross gable section.


Central Steam Plant

Built 1935-36, PWA project
Architect. Stanley Smith, WSU

Steel frame structure with face brick exterior. Matching extension to the uphill side. Sheet-steel second floor addition over the main enterance. Central elevator tower. Large smokestack to the up hill side.


Engineering Laboratory Buildings

Built 1941-42
Architect. Archie Rigg (Rigg and Van Tyne), Spokane

Two one-story brick masonry buildings of a long, narrow footprint. both have a ninety-degree gable roof with "Georgian" false chimney endwalls. The design matches earlier engineering lab buildings, now demolished, and the adjacent Thermal Building.


McCoy Hall

Built 1941-42
Architect. Henry Bertleson, Spokane

Two story brick masonry structure, with steel and wood joists. Flat roof. Flush-wall brick exterior. Metal-frame windows and wood doors. Doorways accented by stone work alternated with brick in a horizontal pattern, commonly called "the stripes." Window ventilation. Originally called Veterinary Clinic, the building remains such but now has many additions to one end and the rear.  Despite the many additions, the original building is little changed. Many room air conditioners extend from windows.


Wegner Hall

Built 1941-43
Architect. Whitehouse and Price, Spokane

Three-story, reinforced concrete with face brick. Exterior design copies older masonry buildings of the Classical/Georgian design, including Wilson Hall and Fulmer Hall.  Remodeled ca. 1985-88 to accommodate forced air vertilation. Exterior trim in limestone featuring carved heads of domestic animals.


L.J. Smith Agricultural Engineering Building

Built 1946
Architect. Stanley Smith, WSU

Concrete block and woodframe structure, with brick and clapboard exterior. Two stories, with sloped roof. West-facing wall is largely glass--actually very large windows--between two massive-appearing brick faced structures. Central area designed for use as a machine shop with natural light. A large addition abuts the rear of the building.


Dana Hall

Built 1946-47
Architect. Whitehouse and Price, Spokane

Long-narrow building, two stories with high attic area now serving as third story.  Reinforced concrete with face brick. Constructed with potential for forced air ventilation, but not installed. Steam radiator heating. Flush-wall brick exterior, with large "industrial" metal-framed windows of many small lites. Distinctive entries with relief craved aluminum featuring engineering themes. These panels are set in an area of limestone panels of vertically oriented fluting. The entryways are sometimes floodlighted for effect. The interior is characterized by green tile walls and rough-finish plaster ceilings.

Largely unmodified, except for the third floor attic and the union where it adjoins later construction at the north end. Room air conditioners protrude from many windows.


Thermal Building

Built 1947
Architect. Whitehouse and Price, Spokane

Large, barnlike building with gable roof and brick ends featuring false chimneys. Steel frame, with brick walls. Built as part of the Dana Hall project for laboratory space to be used by engineering departments and the Physics department. The building is a larger version of other engineering lab buildings.


Todd Hall

Built 1948
Architect. John Maloney, Yakima and Seattle

Four story, reinforced concrete classroom building with flush-wall brick exterior, relieved by large limestone panels, some of which have been removed and replaced by brick. Limestone trim also used at cornices and around some entryways and windows. Much remodeled in ca. 1970. Largely obscured from public view by the Todd Hall addition of 1988-90, which combines design features of Todd Hall with those of the adjoining Wilson Hall and College Hall. The original interior of Todd Hall was one of very long central hallways with classrooms on one side and faculty offices along the other side, brought out into very public position. The remodeled version is more one in which the hallways terminate into office suites part way along the length of the building. At the mid-point in the length of the building, the central hallway is interrupted by a brick feature composed of walls, doors, stairs, mechanical system elements and so on.

The foyer of the original main entry has been retained. It features pink wall tile and aluminum gratework over cast iron radiators. The pink wall tile is also found in the restrooms. A limestone relief statue "prometheus," that originally was located over the main door remains in position inside the building over the entry to the original main foyer.


Compton Union Building

Built 1950-1952, major changes 1957, 1967-68
Architect. John Maloney, Seattle; remodel also Maloney

Originally three story, now four story, reinforced concrete structure.  The building is set on the edge of a cliff-like slope, and the downhill side overhangs this slope in many places. Much changed from remodeling in 1957, and major addition and remodel in 1967-68. Flush-wall one-color brick exterior, with no corner or cornice trim. Sandstone around principal entryways. Some panels of painted concrete. Strip windows in places. The front of the building has mainly glass walls on the lower floor, above which a glass and steel-panel wall constitutes the exterior of the second floor.  The lower glass is from the remodeling of 1957.

At the east end of the building, a large box-like structure without windows houses a theater that was added in the remodeling of 1967. The exterior of this box is largely painted concrete of a terra cotta color.


Regents Hill residence complex

Built 1950-1952
Architect. Paul Thierry, Seattle

Three buildings, two dormitories and cafeteria. Painted concrete exterior with semi-strip windows. Built into the side of a hill, the dormitories are long buildings of three stories of residence space set on "piers" one story above ground. The two building set met at the corner to make a V-pattern at an angle of about 100 degrees. In the open end of the angle, open decks span the two buildings. In the inner side of the angle, a Japanese rock garden--now overgrown-- is placed on a slope through with stairs and walkway lead uphill to the cafeteria building.


Jewett Observatory

Built 1951-1952
Architect. Phil Keene, WSU

Laminated wood bean Structure supporting a plywood dome.