Holland Library was built between 1948 and 1950, and was named after the former Washington State College President Ernest O. Holland. Designed by John Maloney, Holland Library was one of the first buildings to be constructed with modern functional architecture. Maloney also designed other buildings on campus such as Todd Hall, Compton Union Building, and Johnson Tower.
The Library's most distinctive detail is a 30-foot high statue on the West side, near the original main entrance. This statue was designed by Seattle artist Dudley Pratt, and officially named "The Reader." It was carved in Bedford, Indiana, the source of the limestone used on this and several other campus buildings, especially Todd Hall and Smith Gym. The statue has long been known informally as "Nature Boy." The name will be recognized by popular music fans as a famous song recorded by Nat King Cole in 1948.
This building was built in 1929 and named in 1963 for the University's noted football coach from 1926-42, "Babe" Hollingbery. In 17 seasons his teams won 99 games, lost 57, and tied 19. He developed several All-Americans, took his 1930 team to the Rose Bowl, and was instrumental in establishing the East-West Shrine Football Game.
Hollingbery Fieldhouse was the foundation of the Physical Education, Intramural and Recreation programs at the university. It has been heavily used over the years, especially during the winter months as the primary indoor practice training facility, as a drill field for the ROTC Programs and as an intramural field. In World War II, it was used extensively as a drill field and as physical education exercise facility for the armed services.
It is an imposing structure, much less ornate than the adjacent Bohler Gym, almost having the character of an industrial building. Its pitched roof echoes the form of Smith Gym.
Thompson Hall is the oldest extant building on campus, designed by noted Seattle architect, James Stephen and his Chicago trained partner, Timothetus Jesnhans. Their firm was selected over 16 other entries in an architectural competition held by the Board of Regents. Thompson Hall was constructed for less then $50, 000 using local red brick made from clay deposits in back of what is now Stevens Hall.
Until 1968, it served as the Administration building as well as housing a number of other university functions.
It is prominently sited and immediately identifiable by its two large towers, one truncated and one with conical roof. The romantic Victorian Romanesque character of the building s further enhanced by rich variety of windows and entryways and the use of rock-faced granite (quarried near Spokane) for its contrasting trim.
It was rightly described by the Regents at the 1895 dedication as "an excellent piece of work and one that in point of convenience, strength, and architectural beauty compares with any state building."
Today, it has been extensively remodeled inside, but the exterior remains largely intact. It is one of WSU's most notable buildings, an excellent example of an early ideal in education architecture.
Click here to view additional images of Thompson Hall.
White Hall built in 1928 and originally known as the Home Economics Building until it was renamed in 1960 for the nationally known cooperative extension leader, M. Elmina White. Designed by Professor and University Architect Stanley Smith, this Classical Georgian style structure is actually a steel frame building. Another interesting feature was the inclusion of a forced-air ventilation system long before other campus buildings were built or refitted with such equipment. The main entrance of the building faces westerly overlooking the city of Pullman. However, today the major pedestrian flow approaches the building from the east into the back of the structure. The building mass encloses the north side of one of the university's most significant open spaces. The brick building mass is symmetrically balanced, making a cross formation with the central section protruding on the east/west axis.
In 2000, White Hall will be remodeled for use by the Honors College, and will include a dormitory area for the Honors Program Students.
Wilson Hall is the twin of Carpenter Hall and like that building was unfinished for several years. The third floor was added in 1920. It was named for James Wilson, Secretary of Agriculture from 1897 to 1913 and it served as an agriculture and horticulture building. In the original design, Weaver proposed a glass-walled stock judging pavilion projecting from the rear of the building, but partly enclosed in the recess formed by the U-shaped plan. This was not completed.
The first use of the unfinished structure in 1917 was to teach vocational skills to soldiers and for a while it served as military barracks. However, after the war it became the headquarters for nine agriculture departments and served the entire Pacific Northwest as an agricultural information and resource center.
Unlike Carpenter Hall, the grand entry to the second floor level was carried out. A flight of steps leads up to an impressive doorway with a broken pediment. This is probably the only feature on campus which could be described as Baroque.
Learn more about the Historical Photograph Collections available in MASC.