Lambda Kappa Sigma, Mu Chapter
Acquisition and Processing Information
The records of the Mu Chapter of the Lambda Kappa Sigma pharmacy sorority had been held in storage in the student services area of Washington State University's College of Pharmacy for many years. In February of 2013 they were transferred to Washington State University Libraries' Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC) by Lorraine Nelson, Communications Director, College of Pharmacy. They were retained as UA2014-03 and were processed in February, 2014 by University Archivist Mark O'English.
Number of containers: 3 boxes
Linear feet of shelf space: 2
In 1917, eight women formed a pharmacy sorority at Washington State College, titled Phi Nu Pi. After several attempts at making contact with the national Lambda Kappa Sigma pharmacy sorority, Phi Nu Pi received news in 1922 that it had been named as the Mu chapter of that organization. The roots of Lambda Kappa Sigma itself date to 1913 at the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy; it became a national organization in 1918. The Mu chapter was active at least until 1986 before going dormant, but a rebirth is being attempted in 2014.
A short written history of the chapter can be found in folder 2.
The collections consists of three large scrapbooks, one minutes log, and then several loose pages of correspondence and other organization papers. The majority of the correspondence is between the WSU chapter and the national organization.
Individual loose papers have been organized chronologically and placed at the front of the collection. Undated papers have been left after whatever they originally followed, unless information in them allowed us to place them elsewhere. The minutes log and the scrapbooks follow the papers.
The entirety of this collection is open and available for in-person research use.
The suggested citation for the collection is:
Lambda Kappa Sigma, Mu Chapter Records, 1917-1976 (Archives 340)
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Washington State University Libraries