Veterinary Medicine College Records 1976-1978
Archives 173

Summary Information

Repository
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries
Title
Veterinary Medicine College Records
ID
Archives 173
Date [inclusive]
1976-1978
General Physical Description note
approximate 142 items  .25 linear feet  1 containers
Abstract
Collection contains minutes and agenda from Cabinet and Dept. Chairmen's meetings.

Return to Table of Contents »


Organizational History:

Classes in veterinary medicine have been taught at Washington State University since the institution's beginning. In 1899 the veterinary program was organized into the School of Veterinary Science, and the granting of professional degrees for a three-year program in veterinary medicine was introduced. The first graduating class, consisting of two individuals, received their degrees in 1902. In 1906 the degree program expanded from three to four years of study.

Beginning in 1908 senior veterinary students were taught at a clinic in Spokane, where they could receive more practical experience, while all other students were taught in Pullman. This arrangement continued until 1923 when all teaching facilities and staff were brought to Pullman. In 1917, as a result of President E. O. Holland's reorganization of the institution, the School of Veterinary Science became the College of Veterinary Science. The name was altered to the College of Veterinary Medicine in 1925. In the 1930's the degree program was expanded to five years of study.

Reorganization in 1944 made the College of Veterinary Medicine a subdivision of the Institute of Agricultural Sciences until, due to pressure from local and national veterinary organizations, the College regained its autonomy in 1950. Presently, the College of Veterinary Medicine is comprised of the departments of (1) Veterinary and Comparitive Anatomy, Pharmacology, and Physiology, (2) Microbiology and Pathology, and (3) Clinical Medicine and Surgery.

More extensive histories of the College of Veterinary Medicine such as the Narrative History of WSU Veterinary College by Dr. Lavon M. Koger and A History of Veterinary Medicine in the State of Washington by Dr. E. E. Wegner, are located in WSU 167 in Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections.

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement note

The College of Veterinary Medicine's records are arranged in a single alphabetical series. The collection consists of the agenda and minutes from 1976 and 1977 Cabinet meetings (meetings of division heads) and from 1977 and 1978 Department Chairmen's meetings.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries

http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/masc
Terrell Library
P.O. Box 645610
Pullman, WA, 99164-5610
509-335-6691
mascref@wsu.edu

Conditions Governing Access note

The Collection is open for research use.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

The records of the College of Veterinary Medicine were transferred to Washington State University Libraries in July of 1979 (UA79-19).

Processing Information note

The records were processed by Leslie J. Tevebaugh in December of 1984 and January of 1985.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • State College of Washington. College of Veterinary Science.
  • State College of Washington. School of Veterinary Science.
  • Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine--Archives
  • Washington State University. College of Veterinary Medicine--Records and correspondence

Subject(s)

  • Colleges and Universities
  • Medicine and health
  • Veterinary medicine--Washington (State)--Pullman--Archives
  • Washington (State)

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Cabinet Meeting Agenda and Minutes 

Box Folder

 1976   26.0 items

1 1

 1977   28.0 items

1 2

Return to Table of Contents »


Department Chairmen's Meetings 

Box Folder

 1977   20.0 items

1 3

 1978   68.0 items

1 4

Return to Table of Contents »