Mines and Geology School Dean Records 1929-1933
Archives 152

Summary Information

Repository
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries
Title
Mines and Geology School Dean Records
ID
Archives 152
Date [inclusive]
1929-1933
General Physical Description note
approximate 58 items  .5 linear feet  1 containers
Abstract
Records include scrapbooks containing black-and-white photographs and newspaper clippings, and a draft report, which contains correspondence, bulletins, and other papers.

Return to Table of Contents »


Oganizational History:

Mining and geology were among the original subjects authorized to be taught at Washington Agricultural College and School of Science (now Washington State University). The School of Mines was established during the reorganization of the college in 1917 under the new college president, Ernest O. Holland. The first school year began with L. O. Howard as Dean of the School of Mines. The Department of Geology remained a part of the College of Sciences and Arts until 1920, when it was incorporated into the new School of Mines and Geology. When Dean Howard resigned in 1926, Arthur Eilert Drucker (1877-1949) was made the Dean of the School of Mines and Geology, a position which he retained until 1946. In 1946 the name of the school was shortened to the School of Mines. At that time the school consisted of the Department of Geology, the Department of Mining and Process Metallurgy, and the Department of Physical Metallurgy.

The School of Mines and Geology conducted classes in the first School of Placer Mining for the Unemployed from 1932 to 1933. The Spokane Chamber of Commerce and the Northwest Mining Association co-sponsored the placer mining school in the summer of 1932. Wenatchee, Omak, Pullman, and Okanagon also sponsored placer mining classes conducted by W.S.U. instructors. Eventually, 3,900 people attended the schools.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

The records of the School of Mines and Geology from 1929 through 1933 are arranged in a single alphabetical sequence. The records include scrapbooks containing black-and-white photographs and newspaper clippings, and a draft report, which contains correspondence, bulletins, and other papers.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries

http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/masc
Terrell Library
P.O. Box 645610
Pullman, WA, 99164-5610
509-335-6691
mascref@wsu.edu

Conditions Governing Access note

The Collection is open for research use.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

The records of the Dean of the School of Mines and Geology were transferred to Washington State University Libraries prior to 1970 (WSU 164).

Processing Information note

The records were processed in July 1984 by Patricia M. Gourd.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • School of Placer Mining for the Unemployed
  • State College of Washington. School of Mines and Geology. Dean.
  • State College of Washington. School of Placer Mining For the Unemployed.
  • Washington State University. School of Mines and Geology. Dean--Archives
  • Washington State University. School of Mines and Geology. Dean--Records and correspondence

Subject(s)

  • Colleges and Universities
  • Geology--Research--Archival resources
  • Hydraulic mining--Research--Archival resources
  • Mines and Mineral Resources
  • Mines and mineral resources--Research--Archival resources
  • Photographs
  • Washington (State)

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Box Folder

The Basic Mineral Industry and The School of Mines and Geology 1929-1933   1.0 item

1 1

School of Mines and Geology Report File 1933   55.0 items

1 2

School of Placer Mining for the Unemployed 1932   1.0 item

1 3

School of Placer Mining for the Unemployed 1932-1933   1.0 item

1 4