Back to Finding Aids
Washington State University Libraries
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections
Pullman, WA 99164-5610 USA
(509) 335-6691
Inquiries

PC 80
Building Since the End of the War at the
State College of Washington 1946-1948

This collection of photographs and their corresponding descriptions was compiled for president Compton around 1948. Although Compton boasted that he dramatically increased the square footage on campus, most of this growth, as will be noted in the photographs below, came from the construction of temporary facilities, few of which have survived.

Building Description

Agricultural Engineering Building

A two-story building with partial basement. Constructed of combination frame and masonry. There are 10 offices, 3 classrooms, and 6 shops. Floor area totals 17,088 square feet. Overall dimensions are 138 x 111 feet. Heated by steam from Central Heating Plant.

Completion Date: September 1947

Cost: $150,994.68

Cost per square foot: $8.85

Cost per cubic foot: 65¢

Source of funds: State of Washington

Columbia Houses

Two-story, temporary buildings of frame construction. Both exterior and interior surfaces are of gypsum board. All three units heated from one central boiler. Each unit includes a community kitchen for light lunches and small lounge. There are 31 double rooms and quarters for one counselor in each unit. Used for housing married students and some staff members.

Completion Date: September 1947

Cost: $300,000

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost included demounting, moving, site preparation, re-erection, and utility construction. The Federal Public Housing Authority donated the buildings. Floor space in each unit totals 17,840 square feet.

East House

A two-story, temporary building of frame construction. Exterior 2 x 4 stud walls are covered with plywood on exterior with gypsum-board interior surfaces. Foundations are wood piers. Warm air from steam-heated coils is forced to the rooms. There are 78 single rooms, 120 double rooms, 2 head resident's suites, 2 counselor’s quarters, 4 lounges, and 4 laundries. Used as a men's dormitory. Floor area totals 52,120 square feet.

Completion Date: September 1946

Cost: $250,000

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost included demounting, moving, site preparation, re-erection and utility construction only. The Federal Public Housing Authority donated building.

Education Building

A one-story, temporary building of frame construction. It has a partial basement and is heated by steam heat from the Central Heating Plant. There are 27 offices, 10 classrooms, 5 laboratories, and 2 projection rooms in the building. Overall dimensions are 216’ x 76’ and floor area totals 11,416 square feet. The building is "E" shaped.

Completion Date: February 1948

Cost $6,450

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost included site preparation, utility construction, and finishing of partial basement. F.W.A. moved building from Farragut, Idaho, and re-erected it on its present site.

Engineering Laboratory Building

A two-story building of brick and concrete construction. Has wood floors with exception of concrete ground floor. There are 7 classrooms, 1 office, and 6 laboratories in the building. Overall dimensions are 226' x 60' and floor area totals 24,832 square feet. Heated by steam from Central Heating Plant.

Completion Date: September 1947

Cost: $249,168

Cost per square foot: $9.25

Cost per cubic foot: 79¢

Source of funds: State of Washington

Ernest Holland Library

Reinforced concrete building with brick veneer face, Class A construction. Overall dimensions are 135' x 270' and there will be four stories and basement. The building will be completely air-conditioned and will have asphalt tile floors and acoustical tile ceilings. Floor area will total 207,900 square feet. Heated by steam from Central Heating Plant.

Completion Date: April 1950 (tentative)

Cost: $2,673,697 (est.)

Cost per square foot: $12.95

Cost per cubic foot: $1.10

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: When completed the Ernest Holland Library will house more than one

million volumes and accommodate 2,000 readers.

Forestry Building

A one-story, temporary building of frame construction. Heated by steam. Overall dimensions are 25 x 150 feet and floor area totals 3,750 square feet.

Completion Date: January 1948

Cost: $2,041

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost included site preparation and utility construction only. F.W.A. moved building from Spokane, Washington, and re-erected it on present site.

Horticulture Storage Building

A one-story, temporary building of wood-frame construction. It is not heated. Floor area totals 3,750 square feet. Overall dimensions are 25’ x 150 ‘.

Completion Date: September 1947

Cost: $2,000

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost included site preparation and utility construction only. F.W.A. moved building from Spokane, Washington, and re-erected it on its present site. It is used for storage.

Military Hill

Group of 64 well constructed individual houses built to meet F.H.A. standards. They are of frame construction with concrete foundations. There are nine basic designs have three bedrooms; 62 have two bedrooms. Houses are heated by automatic forced warm air from coal and oil furnaces. Each house furnished with electric range and water heater. Used for housing faculty.

Completion Date: October 1947

Cost: $780,000

Source of funds: Board of Regents Bond Issue

Remarks: There are basement apartments in 37 of the houses.

Mining Experiment Station Building

A concrete frame building with brick veneer face. It is a one-story building with a partial second floor and mezzanine. Overall dimensions are 165’ x 64’ and floor area totals 16,320 square feet. The building will contain one office, a pilot plant, and ore grinding and smelting rooms. Heated by steam from Central Heating Plant.

Completion Date: January 1949 (tentative)

Cost: $276,000 (est.)

Cost per square foot: $16.90

Cost per cubic foot: 80¢

Source of funds: State of Washington

North Fairway

One-story frame buildings. Exterior walls are made of clap board with gypsum-board interior finishes. Each unit has a combination living room-kitchen, bath, and two or three bedrooms. There is a car port for each of the 54 units. Units furnished with electric water heater, electric range, electric refrigerator, and oil space heater. Used for housing faculty and staff.

Completion Date: January 1947

Cost: $185,000

Source of funds: State of Washington

Cost per unit: $3,420

Remarks: Cost included demounting, moving, site preparation, re-erection, and utility construction. The Federal Public Housing Authority donated the buildings. There are 38 2-bedroom units and 16 3 bedroom units.

North House

A two-story, temporary building of frame construction. Exterior 2 x 4 stud walls are covered with plywood on exterior with gypsum-board interior surfaces. Foundations are wood piers. Warm air from steam-heated coils is forced to the rooms. There are 88 single rooms, 134 double rooms, 2 head resident’s suites, 2 counselor’s quarters, 4 lounges, and 4 laundries. Used as a men’s dormitory. Floor area totals 56,280 square feet.

Completion Date: October 1946

Cost: $30,000

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost included site preparation and utility construction only. The Federal Public Housing Authority moved the building from Vancouver, Washington, and re-erected it on its present site.

Poultry Disease Building

A one-story, temporary building of wood-frame construction. Two-thirds of the floor is concrete. It contains living quarters for two students, a laboratory, poultry pens, and an incubator room. Heated by steam from Central Heating Plant. Overall dimensions are 25 x 150 feet. Floor area totals 3,750 square feet. Floor are totals 3,750 square feet.

Completion Date: October 1947

Cost: $2,669

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost included site preparation and utility construction only. F.W.A. moved building from Spokane, Washington, and re-erected it on its present site.

South Fairway

One and two-story frame buildings. Exterior walls are shingle with gypsum-board interior surfaces. Each unit furnished with oil space heater and oil range. There are 240 units, of which four have three bedrooms, 24 have one bedroom, and 212 have two bedrooms. Used for housing married students and a few staff members.

Completion Date: October 1946

Cost: $90,000

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost included site preparation and utility construction only. The Federal Public Housing Authority moved the buildings and re-erected them on present site at no cost to the college.

South House

A two-story, temporary building of frame construction. Exterior 2 x 4 stud walls are covered with plywood on exterior with gypsum-board interior surfaces. Foundations are wood piers. Warm air from steam-heated coils is forced to the rooms. There are 88 single rooms, 134 double rooms, 2 head resident’s suites, 2 counselor’s quarters, 4 lounges, and 4 laundries. Used as a men’s dormitory. Floor area totals 56,280 square feet.

Completion Date: October 1946

Cost: $30,000

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost included site preparation and utility construction only. The Federal Public Housing Authority moved the building from Vancouver, Washington, and re-erected it on its present site at no cost to the College.

Spillman Hall

A one-story, temporary building of wood-frame construction. It has a concrete basement and utilizes steam heat from the Central Heating Plant. It has 29 offices, 3 classrooms, and 6 laboratories. The overall dimensions are 216 x 76 feet and the floor area totals 20,464 square feet. The building is "E" shaped.

Completion Date: September 1947

Cost: $36,207

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost included site preparation, utility construction, and finishing of concrete basement. F.W.A. moved the building from Farragut, Idaho, and re-erected it on its present site.

Stadium Commons

A one-story, temporary building of wood-frame construction. It has plywood exterior and gypsum-board interior surfaces. Building contains kitchen and preparation rooms, post office, and large dining room. Approximately 5,100 meals served daily to students. Floor area totals 23,790 square feet. It is heated by steam from the Central Heating Plant.

Completion Date: November 1947

Cost: $260,000

Source of funds: State of Washington and Dining Halls Funds

Remarks: Cost included demounting, moving, site preparation, re-erection, and

utility construction. Building moved here from Vancouver, Washington. The

Federal Public Housing Authority donated the building.

C.C. Todd Hall

A reinforced concrete building with a brick veneer face. One wing has overall dimensions of 85'8" x 134’, and the other wing 65'4" x 252'2". Floor area will total 134,011 square feet. Both wings have stories and basement. Included in the building are 44 offices, 50 classrooms, and one large lecture room seating 700 people.

Completion Date: January 1949 (tentative)

Cost: $1,926,009.19 (est)

Cost per cubic foot: 98¢

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Will house school of Economics and Business and Serve as classroom

building for this and other departments. Heated by steam from the Central

Heating Plant.

Washington State Institute of Technology Building

A brick and concrete building that will house the Washington State Institute of Technology. It will have three and one-half stories when completed and will contain 15 offices, 10 shops, and 46 laboratories. Overall dimensions are 350’x57’. Floor area will total 90,352 square feet.

Completion Date: $17.30

Cost per cubic foot: $1.33

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: When completed this will be the longest building on the campus.

Heated by steam from Heating Plant.

Washington Square

Twenty-nine of the units in Washington Square are prefabricated houses moved from Richland, Washington. These have plywood exterior and interior surfaces and cost the College an average of $1,735 per unit. Eleven other units are frame buildings, designed and constructed for The State College of Washington on their present sites. These cost the College an average of $5,424 per unit. All units have individual space heaters. Used to house faculty.

Completion Dates: 29 prefabricated units – April 1945. 11 frame units – January 1947.

Cost: $109,982

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost of the 29 prefabricated units included site preparation, utility construction, and moving. The eleven frame units cost an average of $8.00 per square foot.

West House

A two-story, temporary building of frame construction. Exterior 2 x 4 stud walls are covered with plywood on exterior with gypsum-board interior surfaces. Foundations are wood piers. Warm air from steam-heated coils is forced to the rooms. There are 88 single rooms, 134 double rooms, 2 head resident’s suites, 2 counselor’s quarters, 4 lounges, and 4 laundries. Used as a men’s dormitory. Floor area totals 56,280 square feet.

Completion Date: October 1946

Cost: $30,000

Source of funds: State of Washington

Remarks: Cost included site preparation and utility construction only. The Federal Public Housing Authority moved the building from Vancouver, Washington, and re-erected it on its present site at no cost to the College.