Preliminary Guide to the Pullman Community Congregational Church Records 1914-2013
MSSM.038

Summary Information

Repository
Washington State University Libraries, Manuscripts, Archives and Special Collections
Creator
Pullman Community Congregational Church
Title
Preliminary Guide to the Pullman Community Congregational Church Records
ID
MSSM.038
Date [inclusive]
1914-2013
Extent
7 Linear feet, 6 Boxes; 5 Tubes
Location
(MASC STAFF USE) MS.1998.14: 2-8-24-3; MS.2001.05: 2-14-23-4; MS.2005.05: 2-13-27-5; MS.2008.28: 2-10-1-5; MS.2014.35: 2-5-25-7; MS.2017.03: 2-13-27-5 (boxed with MS.2005.05).
Language
Collection materials are in English.
Abstract
This collection contains materials created by the Pullman Community Congregational Church from 1914-2013.

Preferred Citation

[Item description]

Preliminary Guide to the Pullman Community Congregational Church Records, 1914-2013 (MSSM.038)

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.

Return to Top »


Biography/History

The Pullman Community Congregational Church was originally incorporated in 1886 as the First Congregational Church of Pullman. It was the first church formally organized in Pullman, although a loosely-organized Methodist congregation preceded it by four years. The Congregationalists located their church building at the corner of High and Paradise Streets on Pullman's Pioneer Hill.

The church entered into a federation with a Pullman Baptist congregation in 1913, after which a new building was constructed on the outskirts of the Washington State University campus. The federation, however, tended to be heavily dominated by the Congregationalist element. Recognizing that the Federated Church was in reality but another manifestation of the First Congregational Church, the pastor and officers reincorporated the organization as the Community Congregational Church in 1937.

The Community Congregational Church continued to use the Federated Church buildings and facilities after 1937. In 1954, the old Federated Church building was converted to meeting rooms and a new church building was constructed in an adjacent location. In 1961, the church entered into the United Church of Christ, a national denomination encompassing Congregational and Reformed churches. In 1990, the church drafted a constitution and in 1999 the church underwent renovation.

As early as 1954, the church's Women's Fellowship opened The Thrift Shop, which is still in business as of the writing of this guide. It is Pullman's oldest second hand clothing store.

Return to Top »


Scope and Content

This collection contains materials created by the Pullman Community Congregational Church from 1914-2013. The collection consists primarily of reports by the church and its committees, photographs, and church publications. This includes annual reports from 1958-1999, the church's constitution and by-laws, newsletters, event programs, documents related to the construction of a new church in 1954 and the 1999 remodel, the 100 year anniversary celebration, and photographs of church members and activities. The collection also contains oral histories recorded audio cassette tape and a video recording of the 100 year anniversary celebration in 1986.

MS 2014-35 contains a bound "source book" with historical records compiled by C.M. Brewster and others, church reports, newsletters, transcriptions of oral history interviews, historic photographs (including a slideshow of the church's history), committee and board minutes, and miscellaneous papers.

Return to Top »


Arrangement

This is an unprocessed collection. Arrangement reflects a pre-existing order from the records’ creators or previous custodians.

Return to Top »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Washington State University Libraries Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections  © 2020

http://www.libraries.wsu.edu/masc/

Terrell Library

P.O. Box 645610

Pullman, WA, 99164-5610 USA

509-335-6691

mascref@wsu.edu

Restrictions on Access

This collection is open and available for research use.

Restrictions on Use

Copyright restrictions may apply.

Acquisition Information

The Community Congregational Church donated these materials to the Washington State University Libraries in multiple installments beginning in 1998. Received from Ed and Margery Bennett and Monique Slipher (MS.1998.14, MS.2001.05, MS.2005.05, MS.2014.35, MS.2017.03). The acquisition of a portion of the collection was not documented (MS.2008.28).

Return to Top »


Related Materials

Related Material

Washington State University holds two processed collections about the Pullman Community Congregational Church. They are:

Pullman Community Congregational Church Records, Cage 314

Pullman Community Congregational Church Records, Cage 448

Return to Top »


Names and Subjects

Corporate Name(s)

Subject(s) :
  • Pullman Community Congregational Church -- Archives

Geographic Name(s)

  • Pullman (Wash.) -- History -- Sources

Personal Name(s)

Subject(s) :
  • -- Records and correspondence.

Subject(s)

  • Congregational churches -- Washington (State) -- Pullman -- Records and correspondence
  • Religion
  • Washington (State)

Return to Top »