Preliminary Guide to the Pullman Community Congregational Church Records
MSSM.038

Summary Information

Repository
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries
Creator
Pullman Community Congregational Church
Title
Pullman Community Congregational Church Records
ID
MSSM.038
Date [inclusive]
1931-2001
Extent
6.0 Linear feet 4 boxes and 5 tubes.
Location Note
(MASC staff use - MS 1998-14: 2-8-24-3, MS 2001-05: 2-14-23-4, MS 2005-05: 2-13-27-5; MS 2008-28: 1-37-26-7.)
Language
English
Languages
Materials are in English.

Return to Table of Contents »


Historical Note

The Pullman Community Congregational Church was originally incorporated in 1886 as the First Congregational Church of Pullman. It was the first church formally organized in Pullman, although a loosely-organized Methodist congregation preceded it by four years. The Congregationalists located their church building at the corner of High and Paradise Streets on Pullman's Pioneer Hill.

The church entered into a federation with a Pullman Baptist congregation in 1913, after which a new building was constructed on the outskirts of the Washington State University campus. The federation, however, tended to be heavily dominated by the Congregationalist element. Recognizing that the Federated Church was in reality but another manifestation of the First Congregational Church, the pastor and officers reincorporated the organization as the Community Congregational Church in 1937.

The Community Congregational Church continued to use the Federated Church buildings and facilities after 1937. In 1954, the old Federated Church building was converted to meeting rooms and a new church building was constructed in an adjacent location. In 1961, the church entered into the United Church of Christ, a national denomination encompassing Congregational and Reformed churches. In 1990, the church drafted a constitution and in 1999 the church underwent renovation.

As early as 1954, the church's Women's Fellowship opened The Thrift Shop, which is still in business as of the writing of this guide. It is Pullman's oldest second hand clothing store.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content

This collection contains materials created by the Pullman Community Congregational Church from 1931-2001. The collection consists primarily of reports by the church and its committees, photographs, and church publications. This includes annual reports from 1958-1999, the church's constitution and by-laws, newsletters, event programs, documents related to the construction of a new church in 1954 and the 1999 remodel, the 100 year anniversary celebration, and photographs of church members and activities. The collection also contains oral histories recorded audio cassette tape and a video recording of the 100 year anniversary celebration in 1986.

Return to Table of Contents »


Organization of Collection

This is an unprocessed collection. It has yet to be arranged.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries 2013

http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/masc
Terrell Library
P.O. Box 645610
Pullman, WA, 99164-5610
509-335-6691
mascref@wsu.edu

Access

This collection is open and available for research use.

Acquisition Information

This collection was donated to the Washington State University Libraries by Ed Bennett from 1998-2005 (MS 1998-14, MS 2001-05, MS 2005-05). The acquisition of a portion of the collection was not documented (MS 2008-28).

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Materials

Washington State University holds two processed collections about the Pullman Community Congregational Church. They are:

Pullman Community Congregational Church Records, Cage 314

Pullman Community Congregational Church Records, Cage 448

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Geographic Name(s)

  • Pullman (Wash.) -- History -- Sources

Subject(s)

  • Congregational churches--Washington (State)--Pullman--Records and correspondence

Return to Table of Contents »