Preliminary Guide to the Washington State University Women's Club Records
MS.2006.01

Summary Information

Repository
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries
Creator
Washington State University Women's Club.
Title
Washington State University Women's Club Records
ID
MS.2006.01
Date [inclusive]
1962-1993
Extent
0.5 Linear feet 1 box.
Location Note
(MASC Staff Use: 2-6-25-6)
Language
English
Languages
Materials are in English.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

The Washington State University Women's Club was started by Hattie Bryan, wife of WSC President Enoch Bryan, in 1913 as the Matron's Club. In 1951, the group changed its name to the Women's Faculty Club. Again, in 1969, the group revised its title to the Washington State University Women's Club. The purpose of the organization was to cultivate friendship among women in the university community as well as to welcome newly arrived women into their social network. In 1913 when the Matron's Club was founded, it was the only social club for State College women outside of those sponsored by churches. For many years, the membership consisted of women whose husbands were on the faculty of the State College. Later, women on the faculty also joined the organization, and ultimately the membership expanded to include women who worked for the Washington State University, or who had a spouse who was a university employee. Throughout, the purpose of the organization remained friendship. This objective was achieved by group dinners and other social events. (see Cage 627)

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

This collection contains records of the Washington State University Women's Club pertaining to activities from 1962 to 1997. The collection includes a guest book, financial records, and by-laws. The collection also contains papers pertaining to the club's donations to the WSU Libraries, club membership, histories, elections, and programs. Additionally, the collection includes newspaper clippings and the WSU Women's Club newsletters titled MSages.

Return to Table of Contents »


Organization of Collection

This is an unprocessed collection. It has not yet been arranged.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries

http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/masc
Terrell Library
P.O. Box 645610
Pullman, WA, 99164-5610
509-335-6691
mascref@wsu.edu

Access

This collection is open and available for research use.

Acquisition Information

Collection was transferred from the Office of the President to the Washington State University Libraries in 2006 (MS 2006-01).

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Materials

Washington State University Women's Club Papers (Cage 627)

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Washington State University Women's Club--Archives

Subject(s)

  • Women -- Education -- Washington (State) -- Societies, etc.
  • Women -- Societies and clubs -- 20th century -- Archives
  • Women -- Washington (State) -- Pullman -- Societies and clubs

Return to Table of Contents »