Guide to the Glenn and Melodie Petry Papers on the Greystone Church Building 1989-2006
Cage 758

Summary Information

Repository
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries
Creator
Petry, Glenn H.
Title
Glenn and Melodie Petry Papers on the Greystone Church Building
ID
Cage 758
Date [bulk]
Bulk, 2004-2005
Date [inclusive]
1989-2006
Extent
2.0 boxes
General Physical Description note
3 Linear feet of shelf space 1 roll
Location note
Roll 1 is located in MASC basement, at range 3:3.
Language
English
Abstract
This collection consists of a scrapbook maintained by Glenn and Melodie Petry during and shortly after the Greystone Church building remodel project, and architectural drawings for the project.

Preferred Citation note

[Item Description] Glenn and Melodie Petry papers on the Greystone Church building

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

"The Greystone Church was dedicated on October 18, 1914. It was built for Pullman's Presbyterian community, which had outgrown its earlier (1899) building. In 1963, the Presbyterian congregation moved to a new facility, at which time the Greystone Church was sold to the Spokane Diocese of the Roman Catholic Church. It was renamed the St. Thomas More Chapel, and was used as a student center from 1964 to 1980. After 1980 the building had a succession of owners whose plans to redevelop the property failed for a variety of reasons. Consequently the building was subject to vandalism and neglect." (from the guide to the Greystone Church and Foundation Records, 1975-1995)

Glenn Petry, formerly a professor of finance at Washington State University, and his wife, Melodie Petry, acquired the Greystone Church building and property in 2004. They restored and remodeled the structure, converting it into residential apartments.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

This collection consists of a scrapbook maintained by Glenn and Melodie Petry during and shortly after the Greystone Church building remodel project, and architectural drawings for the project. The scrapbook contains photographs of the exterior and interior of the structure before and after the project, and other related items including pamphlets, correspondence, newspaper clippings, applications, and miscellaneous documents.

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement note

The collection is arranged in a single series.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries © 2016

http://www.libraries.wsu.edu/masc
Terrell Library
P.O. Box 645610
Pullman, WA, 99164-5610
509-335-6691
mascref@wsu.edu

Conditions Governing Access note

This collection is open and available for research use.

Conditions Governing Use note

Copyright restrictions apply.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Glen and Melodie Petry donated this collection to the Washington State University Libraries in 2010 (MS 2010-38).

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

Greystone Church and Foundation records, 1975-1995 ( Cage 689).

Greystone Foundation records, 1988-1997 ( Cage 672).

Donald Bushaw papers on the Greystone Foundation, circa 1990s ( Cage 757).

Glenn H. Petry papers, 1954-1980 ( Cage 576).

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Subject(s)

  • Architecture
  • Church architecture -- Conservation and restoration.
  • Historic buildings -- Remodeling for other use.
  • Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Pullman -- Archives.
  • Washington (State)

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Box Folder

Scrapbook 

1 1-10, 12-13

Scrapbook (continued) 

2 11

Set of architectural plans (reduced size) 

2 14
roll Folder

Set of architectural plans (rolled) 

1 15